Farming is a source of income for farmers and gardening can be considered to be a hobby. But, in both these activities, one thing that is common is the efforts put in to nurture the plants and the crops. This includes providing them with proper fertilizers and enough water. Many people make use of the water irrigation system for this purpose. This system helps in providing enough amounts of water that the farmer or the gardener thinks the plants need. But, what if the system is not working properly? Will you directly call a technician to work on it?
Before calling a technician you can take a look at the system and try to find out what the problem is. The following guidelines will help you identify the problem and think of a solution for the same.
This is an important task that the irrigation system usually performs. It filters the water before it is sent across to the plants. Thus, debris in the water is stopped by the filter that further passes clear water to the crops or plants. The filter needs regular cleaning that you have to look into. The frequency of cleaning needed depends on how dirty the water is. When you are using a new irrigation system, try removing the screen of the filter and check for the amount of dirt it has.
If there is nothing, you can simply place it back and check after a month. This is how you can determine how frequently you will need to clean the filter.
Drippers need the least amount of maintenance during the entire lifespan of a water irrigation system. There are two main detachable parts of the dripper that can be removed and cleaned under clear water. If there is a lot of dirt on it, you can use an old toothbrush to clean. If you still find it difficult to clean, a dripper can be easily replaced with a new one.
Controllers help in managing the working of the entire system. The batteries need to be checked regular and warmed up during the winters. It is advisable to replace the battery every year to avoid any hindrance in the process of irrigation.
Like many other parts of the irrigation system, the valves too need regular cleaning or removing of the dirt that may have settled on them due to the impurities in the water. Valves usually have detachable parts that can be disassembled and cleaned as and when required.
The other things that you might have to look into are the breaking or leaking of the Pressure regulators and the condition of the connectors that are being used. These steps will help you realize the exact problem in the system and help you solve it on your own. If you think that the problem is quite serious, you can look up to a reputed technician to come and do it for you. Along with the irrigation system, if you have a soil moisture monitor in place, make sure you look after that too.
While people are fond of maintaining lush green lawns and a number of plants around their house, they also need to think of the environmental conditions and concentrate on conserving water. It is true that one cannot maintain the growth of plants without supplying adequate amounts of water to it. But, there are methods and equipments that help in saving the water from getting wasted while it is being used for watering the plants.
Equipments that have been developed to make up the water irrigation systems, devices for soil moisture monitoring and many more can help in preventing the loss of water. There are two main methods that are used to water the lawns and the plants in the garden. They are Dripping and Sprinkling. Both these methods have their own advantages and disadvantages that one needs to know. Let us take a deeper look at each of them.
Dripping is a method that is used in places where the area to be watered is small. It is made up of a pipeline that waters the soil where the roots of the plant are present.
The Advantages of Dripping:
- Avoids wastage of water through evaporation as it is directly passed into the soil.
- Supplies direct water to the plant roots.
- Can be used with a timer to note the amount of time for which water has to be passed.
- They prevent the drying off of soil around the roots.
The Disadvantages of Dripping:
- It is not suitable for plants spread around a larger area.
- Installation costs may be higher as it may need pumps or additional pipes to be used in larger areas.
- Increase the risk of tripping hazards as the pipes are placed over the ground.
Sprinkling is a method that that makes use of sprinklers that are placed underground with the head or the nozzle on top. This is used to water lawns or plants spread out in a larger area.
The Advantages of Sprinklers:
- Can be used to water a larger area in the garden.
- Since the sprinklers are placed underground, they do not cause any hindrance for mowing and cutting the grass.
- They too can be used with timers and soil moisture monitors to make sure adequate amounts of water is provided for the plants to grow.
The Disadvantages of Sprinklers:
- Water may get evaporated as it is sprayed in the air.
- They wet the plant foliage which may result into dampness and thus give rise to fungi on the plants.
- If placed near buildings, they may spoil the siding or the fixtures.
Thus, we have seen that each of these methods has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. The only point that we can think of when we consider conserving of water is that dripping prevents the wastage of water that may be caused due to evaporation. Thus, if we only consider this point, dripping seems to be a better method. But, if we consider the area that it reaches out to, sprinklers are a better option. Thus, one needs to decide the main factor that he wants to think of while installing a system in his garden.
Have you been wondering how to maintain the greenery of the lawns outside your home? Are you simply relying on the water irrigation system that was installed years ago or may be just last year? Is the old irrigation system in good condition? Have you taken a look at it and its working lately? Summer is the time when we all tend to remember that we need to use minimum amount of water to maintain the lawns. This is when we might think of using the water irrigation system. Before you begin using them, you will first need to make sure about a few things that will ensure the proper working of the entire system and thus save water.
- The initial Program: You will have to prepare conditions that will help you supply proper amounts of water. The settings need to be done earlier keeping in mind the unexpected seasonal rainfall that may occur.
- Clear the Sprinkler heads: If your system is unused for a longer time, there are chances that stones, dried leaves and debris may get settled on the sprinkler heads. Make sure you remove all the hindrances so that there is even distribution of water in the areas within the range of the sprinkler.
- Replace cracked or broken nozzles: Nozzles and Sprinklers are actually made strong enough so that they can bear any levels of wear and tear. But, unavoidable problems such as the grass mower, a dog or a few curious children may harm the nozzle. A broken or a cracked nozzle or a sprinkler will cause havoc on the lawns and also the water bills. Thus, it is important to keep a watch on any such damaged parts and replace them whenever needed.
- Perform the “Can Test”: This test states that we will need to place a few tin cans or paper cups at a certain distance from the sprinkler. Let the water flow. After some time, observe the levels of the water in the cans or the cups. If they all contain similar amount of water, that means your sprinklers are working fine. If not, you will need to make sure that the settings are proper.
- Use Soil Moisture Monitoring: Although irrigation systems prevent the wastage of water, Moisture monitoring systems will help in checking the actual water content in the soil and will state how much more water needs to be supplied.
These tips will not only help in maintaining the lush green lawns, but will also help in saving the water that may get wasted during summer. Devices used for soil moisture monitoring will not only help save water, but also help in preventing the overwatering of lawns and will enhance the working of the irrigation system.
Landscapes are the most important things that we have to look into. Keeping the plants and lawns fresh and green by supplying them with adequate amounts of water without wasting this important resource is important. We should adopt methods that will help keep our grass look greener and also avoid higher water bills and prevent water wastage. A few methods that will help us do so are:
- Water the Plants in the Morning: Watering plants early in the morning before the sun is bright, will help prevent the water from being absorbed by the heat in the atmosphere. It is the time when the sun has not yet reached its peak and thus will help the water to reach deep into the soil.
- Use appropriate Water Irrigation Systems: People usually install irrigation systems in gardens and lawns. This will help supply enough water to the plants without wasting even a bit of it. There are various irrigation systems that can be used to water the plants in different ways. Select the best ones that suit you and make appropriate settings for the same.
- Make use of Soil Moisture Sensors: There are a number of sensors that are manufactured for soil moisture monitoring. They do not only monitor the moisture of the soil, but also help in detecting the temperature and the ph of the soil. These sensors are best solutions to detect the amount of water needed to be supplied in a garden and also the time intervals after which it should be supplied.
- Select Appropriate Plants: There are a number of plants that are considered to be the staple growth of that region. Prefer plants that are usually found growing around in your locality. This may prevent the need to prepare the soil for plants that need some additional nutrients or climatic conditions. It will be easier to manage plants that are used to growing in such an environment.
- Maintain the Irrigation Systems: It is true that installation of an irrigation system will help in watering the plants on time. But, it is also important to maintain these systems as a minute problem may also cause them to malfunction. You cannot afford keeping your plants dry for a longer time and neither can you afford to waste water to keep it flowing.
These are the five basic watering tips that can help you keep your landscape green as ever without the wastage of water. You can thus adopt these simpler methods and save you plants from drying and the water from getting wasted. Keep your Grass greener and your Water Bills Lower!
With the increasing heat and dryness in the air of Australia, it has become a necessity to adapt to changes that will help us save plants and vegetation and also reduce the amount of water that is needed. Although, most of us have water irrigation systems installed that help watering plants in the garden and the farms, it is necessary to install devices that would help us keep control over the water that is being used. Such a system is the soil moisture monitoring system that will help monitor the soil moisture levels and determine the amount of water that is needed.
The hornet, a device that is developed to monitor the moisture of the soil, helps in determining the exact amounts of water that the plant would need. This helps prevent over or under watering of plants. It also helps in managing the frequency of irrigation and controls the supply of water keeping the turf fresh and green without over watering.
Let us take a look at the features of the Hornet– The perfect Soil Moisture Monitoring System.
- Simple design and working: It is made up of a soil moisture probe and a water proof logger. The logger is compact and is almost of the size of a mobile phone. It does not need those complex installation steps and lengthy cables or mains that may be very expensive. The hornet simply works on a single lithium ion battery that lasts longer.
- Advanced Hardware: The hornet is made using the most advanced hardware features that make it robust. It can be used to determine the salinity, temperature and the moisture of the soil 40cms below ground level. The probe is connected to a logger that is placed under the turf surface. It helps detect the salinity of soil and also the flow of fertilizers. The hornet can also be used to detect the temperature of the soil that will help in scheduling the time to put herbicides and fertilizers. The logger notes the data and sends it over a mobile network to the website. This data can be viewed using any device having internet access.
- Advanced Software: The software is a well built system that not only displays the results of the soil moisture , but also compares it with the past records. The main features of the software are:
- Unlimited and secure logins for clients and users.
- User friendly and can be altered to suit a specific use.
- Easily understandable graphs that show salinity, temperature and soil moisture.
- Low costs for website hosting.
Thus, we know that using a simple hornet will help us in so many different ways without any difficulty. The device is quite user friendly and can be used by anyone having the basic knowledge about its working. It has till now, proved to be the best soil moisture monitoring system that has been helping save water, fertilizers and also keep the plants fresh and green without over watering.